Senior Advisor, Communications
The Alberta Securities Commission is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province’s securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA), the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada’s capital markets.
The Communications and Investor Education Division provides strategic communications counsel and support to all areas of the ASC to engage and educate internal and external stakeholders. The team promotes consistent, relevant and timely communication through internal communications, earned and social media, investor education activities and industry communications and education.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the successful candidate will provide strategic communications support and counsel to enhance the reputation of the ASC as a trusted source of information and to create greater awareness of the ASC’s role as a regulator. The successful candidate will work with a dynamic and creative team in a highly professional culture that offers challenging work while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Key responsibilities include:
• Contributing senior-level writing and editing skills to a broad range of projects including news releases, industry reports, speechwriting, executive communications, digital communications and other highly visible initiatives.
• Developing and project management of strategic communications programs that support department and Commission objectives.
• Supporting development and execution of strategic earned media initiatives.
• Monitoring and anticipating major issues and opportunities and providing counsel on communications responses.
• Coordinating ASC participation in CSA earned media activities.
• Acting as a trusted advisor on communications matters to other divisions including Enforcement, Corporate Finance and Market Regulation.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or journalism; a master’s degree is a plus.
• Minimum eight years of related experience, specifically in developing high-quality strategic communication plans and products, including earned media.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate and translate complex issues into common language.
• Outstanding proofreading and editing skills. Attention to detail is critical.
• Superb organizational and project management skills with experience in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating communications projects; must be able to manage multiple projects with conflicting deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality.
• Strong ability to think critically and strategically.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to influence and persuade.
• The ability to travel periodically, usually within Alberta.
More information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found on our website at www.albertasecurities.com. Visit our website to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by June 15, 2018.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.