Corporate Communications Team Leader
City of Airdrie
Position ID: J1017-0547
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Corporate Communications
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: November 6, 2017
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
Business Unit Information:
Corporate Communications creates an engaged and informed public, staff and Council by providing communications strategy and support to all City of Airdrie departments, while strengthening the reputation of the City of Airdrie.
We are looking for a Corporate Communications Team Leader who has the desire and vision to; engage a community, manage an organization’s reputation and mentor a strong team of communications professionals.
Primary Accountabilities Include:
- Lead, coach and support a team of professional communication advisors, graphic designer, call centre and reception staff
- Establish direction for the department
- Provide strategic communications counsel, issues management, media relations coaching and reputation management support for the Mayor, Council, City Manager and the Senior Leadership Team
- Provide communications expertise during attendance at Senior Leadership Team meetings and Council agenda setting, in-camera and public meetings
- Plan, direct and manage department activities by developing annual business/staffing/budget plans and growth strategies, managing a $1.1 million annual budget with quarterly updates
- Key media liaison for the organization. Proactively manage relationships with local media
- Together with communication advisors, produce news releases, advisories, pitches and respond to inquiries on behalf of the organization
- Lead crisis communications efforts including staffing the Emergency Co-ordination Centre and managing the EOC Communications team.
- Ensure customer service; providing public information, reception and call centre services
- Create and present reports to senior management and City Council
- Assist with technical duties to support the team as required
- Public Relations/Communications Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- A minimum five years of experience in a related role
- Minimum three years in a leadership role
- Experience in planning, directing and managing communication department activities
- Municipal government experience
- Experience working with politicians would be considered an asset
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven effective leadership skills with the ability to recruit, retain, coach and mentor staff
- Established ability to create an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- High level of confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Well-developed conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with external and internal working groups
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite 2010 and Windows 7 (familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite would be an asset)
- Web savvy with knowledge of Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Strong time management skills as well as the ability to provide excellent client service
- Ability to quickly align with shifting priorities, work assignments and timelines
- Excellent attention to detail • Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and to work independently
- Sound interpersonal skills with the ability to build professional rapport with a wide variety of departments
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours per week) and includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package.
A cover letter accompanying your resume is required. Please address your qualifications and unique skillset that you would bring to the role of the Corporate Communications Team Leader (submissions without a cover letter will not be accepted).
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.