With a vision of making Calgary the ultimate host city, Tourism Calgary markets our city locally, nationally and internationally, advocates for the development of our destination and industry, hosts and attracts visitors and events and activates the city by fostering a destination that is welcoming and offers shareable experiences. Tourism in Calgary contributes approximately $1.6 billion in visitor spending by over 7 million visitors annually.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Stakeholder Engagement & Destination Development, the Communications Specialist will contribute to Tourism Calgary’s vision, goals and purpose through the execution of corporate communications and stakeholder engagement strategies. The Communications Specialist will work closely with all Tourism Calgary teams and industry stakeholders to ensure coordination and alignment of strategies, messages and programs, particularly related to Calgary’s new collaborative destination strategy.
This hands-on position will appeal to a generalist who is a strong writer, highly organized, strategically focused, creative, able to work well with a variety of stakeholders and enjoys variety and a fast-paced environment.
- Understand Tourism Calgary’s audiences / stakeholders in order to effectively develop and deliver appropriate, credible and relevant content.
- Understand Tourism Calgary’s vision, strategic direction and objectives in order to support and align tactics and outcomes.
- Collaborate with organizational colleagues to develop content targeted to specific stakeholders including: members and partners, event rights-holders, travel trade, visitors and Calgarians.
- Communicate to industry and Tourism Calgary stakeholders through monthly enewsletters and leverage analytics to improve readership and engagement.
- Support media relations activities, both proactive and reactive.
- Support and maintain a corporate communications strategic plan and editorial calendar. – Support internal communication strategies and initiatives.
- Support and promote the corporate brand, upholding the credibility and accountability of the organization.
- Coordinate information requests with and from various industry groups.
- Liaise with stakeholder organizations and associations to stay current on industry news.
- Maintain a corporate stakeholder map to track engagement activities.
- Support industry participation in Tourism Calgary programs, events, services and strategies.
- Ensure industry section of website is up-to-date with relevant and timely content.
- Support the development and production of corporate communications projects and publications including e-newsletters, strategy documents, presentations, speeches and reports.
- Research, analyze and report relevant communication, business and industry information to support strategic decision making and advocacy initiatives.
- Monitor and report on corporate communications and stakeholder relations activities, objectives and accomplishments.
- A degree in communications, public relations or related field with a minimum of three years of experience.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and colleagues.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to produce written materials for a variety of platforms, including: reports, media releases, newsletters, web, editorial and presentations.
- Technically proficient and comfortable with using or learning a variety of applications, including CRM databases.
- Experience in proactive media relations.
- Must be innovative and adaptable.
- Participation in IABC or CPRS is an asset.
- Experience working in tourism, government, or membership organizations is an asset.
Reply in confidence by Feb. 19, 2018 with a cover letter and resume to:
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.