St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
In the role of Communications Coordinator, the incumbent contributes to the efficient and effective work of the main office and is accountable to the Executive Assistant and the Personnel Team of Session. The incumbent utilizes his/her communications and organizational skills to work collaboratively and respectfully with the Ministers, staff members and volunteers to ensure a positive working environment.
The successful candidate may or may not have formal training in Communications, however is a self-motivated, positive individual who is interested in implementing strategic communication plans, knows how to use graphic design programs and various social media platforms, is familiar with WordPress and other website interfaces and is a proficient writer. A thoughtful, strategic approach to how Communications is implemented at the Church will be required.
The Communications Coordinator has a critical eye to the execution of communications messages and will provide recommendations and suggestions for improvement. The job description lists the areas of responsibilities under the following categories but not necessarily in order of priority, and does not preclude the assignment of other tasks as and when required.
In the context of Community-Building and Community Relations, the Communications Coordinator will liaise with the Lead Minister on a weekly basis to ensure all is ready for worship each week. Some duties associated with this include:
- Preparing and printing worship bulletins and inserts, and arranging for volunteer(s) to fold;
- Preparing PowerPoint announcements and worship presentations e.g., hymns, responsive readings etc.
- Develops and implements a Communications Plan for the church in consultation with the Lead Minister;
- Ensures branding and messaging are consistent, and materials are created in a professional and effective way;
- Maintains bulletin board for public notices (not the mission boards) and congregational pamphlet information;
- Publishes all church materials including but not limited to the following:
- News From The Pews; annual congregational report; promotional material; vital statistics; CCLI reports;
- Implements the social media plan for the church and ensures there is a team (volunteer) in place to support this plan, when required;
- Manages the church Facebook page, and responds to enquiries from the church web site.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field (public relations or communications preferred). New grads are welcome to apply;
- Experience in writing, designing, social media and community –building is preferred;
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and able to manage multiple projects with competing tasks and deadlines;
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, design programs and WordPress;
- Flexibility to work outside of regular work hours for occasional meetings and events, etc.;
- Experience in the non-profit sector preferred, interest in moving the Church’s mission forward mandatory;
- Membership in CPRS or IABC considered an asset.
- This role will have a conscious focus on community-building internal and external to the church;
- Internally, the Communications Coordinator leads the current teams involved in communication work;
- The Communications Coordinator makes it his/her job to know what is happening around the church and consciously think of thoughtful and creative ways to promote and support these events and activities;
- Externally, the Communications Coordinator will assist the Minister for Families as greater focus is put on the initiative South of Fish Creek;
- Externally, the Communications Coordinator will consider ways for the church to connect with congregation members, as well as ways to reach potential newcomers to the church.
Work Hour Expectations:
This will be a part-time role with 20 hours per week. Most of this work with be done in the office, however allowance for working from a home office, at times, will be permitted. Expectation is that those 20 hours will be over 4 days with approximately 5 hours per day.
To Apply: Please send your resume to Personnel@standrewscalgary.ca.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
The Rev. Jan Hazlett The Rev. Jared Miller
703 Heritage Drive SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2V 2W4 Phone: (403) 255-0001 Fax (403) 450-8246 Email: email@example.com Website: www.standrewscalgary.ca