Each year in June, as part of the IABC/Calgary year-end event, the Volunteer of the Year Awards are held. These awards recognize outstanding contributions by IABC/Calgary volunteers. The awards are open to all active IABC/Calgary volunteers who are members in good standing (board members are not eligible). Volunteers are nominated by a member of the board, and nominees are then judged against set criteria (361KB PDF). A nomination committee reviews all entries and determines the award recipients.
Categories of awards include:
- Long standing Volunteer of the Year service
- IABC/Calgary members who have been volunteers for more than 10 years are eligible for the Longstanding Volunteer of the Year Award.
- The individual must be a communications professional.
- New Volunteer of the Year
- IABC/Calgary members who have been volunteers for less than two years.
- Volunteer of the year
- Student Volunteer of the Year award
- Nominees must be an IABC Student member in good standing.